Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Telyt 400 Televit-r Rapid focus use
From: "Robert G. Stevens" <robsteve@istar.ca>
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 1999 16:56:46 -0400

Randolph:

I got my 400 5.6 Televit-R about a month ago with the Leica shoulder stock.
 I think what both you and I are missing is the original shoulder stock
that bayoneted into the mount just below the lens mount.  This way, the
camera and stock stay stationary while you use the pistol grip to move the
lens back and forth, sort of like a trombone.  They way you have it set up,
the camera will move back and forth in relation to your eye and shoulder
when focusing.

To adapt mine to having the pistol stock mounted to the moving camera mount
part, I made an L shaped bracket which I attached to the socket under the
lens mount.  I then attach the pistol grip-shoulder stock to that bracket.
I attached the L bracket by using a 1/4" screw and a 10-24 set screw beside
it ground to fit the keyway so that the bracket doesn't spin.  To attach
the 1/4 screw into the keyway, I took off the cover to the keyway and
inserted a 1/4 wing nut with the wings cut off to fit the keyway and put
the cover back in place.  I suppose a stock shoulder piece is available for
it, but I assume it is just a bent aluminum rod with no handle or provision
for a trigger as this lens is pre-motor drive vintage and you would use the
cameras release.

I put my combo on my flatbed and scanned it to show you what I mean.  I
hold the focus grip in my left hand and the pistol stock grip in my right
hand.  To focus, I push in on the focus tension trigger and push or pull
and then fine tune with the knob by using my left thumb.  I trigger the
shutter with my right  finger using the remote release on the shoulder stock.

http://home.iSTAR.ca/~robsteve/400mm-Televit-r.jpg

As for tripod and monopod, my lens had both 1/4" and 3/8" mountings on the
forward underside of the lens under the aperture ring.

http://home.iSTAR.ca/~robsteve/400mm-Televit-r-mount.jpg

Maybe any other LUG members that have this lens can describe the proper
shoulder brace for it.

Regards,

Robert