Subject: [Leica] Re: Business With Tamarkin
From: "Michael D. Turner" <mike@lcl-imaging.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 1999 19:07:12 -0800

At 03:34 PM 2/2/1999 -0500, Richard Clompus, you wrote...
>Dear Fellow LUGnuts,
>
>I read this week about a fellow photographer who had some difficulty with
>Tamarkin in New York.  I really don't want this to become a big issue on the
>list - but I have had great service from Stan Tamarkin and NY office
>manager - Eric Boheman.  I can't think of a better place to buy equipment -
>new or used.  The equipment arrives when promised and in the condition as
>advertised.
<snip>
My one, and so far only experience with Tamarkin was wonderful. He gave me
excellent advice. I chose an M4, wanted  the aspheric summicron 35, which
he didn't have in stock and wouldn't before my trip to New Mexico. Sold me
an older summicron, with full exchange refund against the new lens. I was
surprised to find the M4 and lens to be in _far_ better condition than I
expected from his very conservative description. I never took him up on the
offer because I really love this lens. I would certainly do business with
him again.

>Being in private practice optometry for 18 years, I have had my fair share
>of patients that always have something to complain about.  It often doesn't
>take much more effort to make them happy patients for life.  Tamarkin has
>always given me that extra effort.

Yes. I operated a commercial photo lab for 9 years; there are always a few
out of hundreds that can't be satisfied no matter what you do. Stan delayed
shipment on my M4 because the advance seemed to him to be a little stiff;
had his repair person check it out first. That's the kind of extra effort I
certainly appreciate, especially since it was my first Leica and I might
not have noticed a potential problem in that area.

>Sincerely,
>
>Richard Clompus, OD
>West Chester, PA
>Disclaimer:  No financial interest in Leica or Tamarkin

Mike

"Sing whatever is well made..."
- -W. B. Yeats