Subject: [Leica] Leica Telephoto M
From: "John S Doherty" <dohertyj@eudoramail.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 1999 02:47:27 -0000

I can empathize with the decision process you are going through.  I have long felt that the telephoto range represents the most difficult compromise in the M range of lenses.

I haven't used the new 90APO, I don't think it is generally available yet.  Speed is the most important criterion for me and so I use the 75 and think it is a fabulous lens. It has two drawbacks in my opinion; it's a little short for a telephoto choice and it demands a high degree of technical skill.  I have to say that I'm not always up to the challenge but when I get it right the image results are everything you hope for with Leica.

I came to the 75 after using the first version of the 90 Summicron, the one with detachable head.  This was a monster to carry around and I was never satisfied that the image quality was equal to the 35 or 50 Summicrons and that was before I discovered Erwin Puts pages.

The Elmarit seems to get the most consistent praise but I have never tried it because of my speed fetish.

The 90 APO seems to promise image quality improvement in a slightly smaller package.  I intend to try it at the first opportunity.

John D.