Subject: [Leica] enlargers and all that
From: imxputs <imxputs@knoware.nl>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 99 10:28:38 +0100

On the remark
>I cannot remember that anyone referred to publications or tests.
>Nevertheless in the Dutch publication "CAMERA MAGAZINE"  nr 3/98 a
>comparative test was published

I might comment that my first tests of Leica lenses appeared in this magazine
6 years ago. (These reports in Dutch are still being quoted today BTW). I quit
working for the magazine a few years ago as they switched from an offbeat
idealistic course to a style of editorial stuff and a quality of testing I
could not identify myself with any longer.
On the Enlarger Lens Question I might add that I use a V35 and a 5 element
Focotar 40mm/2.8. I also use an Apo-Rodagon 2.8/50 (new version with an N
behind the name). I do not see any differences worth discussing when comparing
the results.I allways stop down to 1:5.6 for best results in all cases. I
deplore Leica's decision to quit the darkroom market. But I do see logic here.
Topclass enlarger lenses are easlily available and here Leicas expertise in
lens design might not give then a competitive advantage.

I noted that the quality of the print is much more dependent on the quality of
the negative and the care lavished on the print. For instance: fiber based
papers due to its 'thick' emulsion layer tend to develop the image on the
bottom of the layer and not on the top where you normally will locate the
sharpness plane. So the image softens a bit after drying.If you drift from
optimum exposure by more than 5% (20 sec optimum time plus/minus 1 seconds)
you will notice image degrading already.
In this area more and decisive research is necessary.

I would indeed avoid a us-them discussion re the R8 and other makers. In
itself the R8 is an outstanding design of very high quality. It is a matter of
individual consideration if you opt for one. Leica evidently over-estimated
the market for this type of photographic instument in the closing yeas of this
mileenium. I would say it is not only a matter of supply and demand. If leica
would be able to profile the R8 to its true characteristics they may sell
more.
The R6.2 is yes and no still in production. In camera production technology a
camera can always be built as long as enough spare parts are available to
assemble a complete camera. There are some parts still in the shop. But no new
parts wil be produced by outside suppliers. So if the supplies dry up, the
R6.2 will become a legend.

Erwin