Subject: [Leica] Camera vs. Enlarging lenses
From: "Kotsinadelis, Peter (Peter)" <peterk@lucent.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 1999 08:19:53 -0800

Jim,

In a sense you're right but I don't think 3-D is the term to use.  Let me
explain, camera lenses are used for distances from about 3 feet to infinity.
Enlargements go from 1:1 to around 10:1 whicih implies a long-conjugate
distance that varies inches instead of feet. The range of object distances
for the enlarger is within the closer focusing distances of the camera lens.
High aperture lenses, such as camera lenses, suffer from field curvature and
other problems and this shows up at hihgher magnification.  This is the
reason not to use a camera lens as an enlarging lens. Enlarging lenses are
generally more symmetrical in their design, are not designed for high-speed
(fast apertures), and provide for greater flatness of field.  The lateral
color of the enlarging lens is typically much better corrected, and the
longitudinal color also needs to be corrected so that best focus agrees with
the best focus for enlarging paper.

Peter K