Subject: RE: [Leica] WOW..in 50 years..
From: Richard Edwards <REdwards@Vetronix.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 1999 13:34:12 -0800

If you are curious about the difficulty of judging the longevity of a
certain technology,
see the endless debates on Morse code on the amateur radio newsgroups.

An 1840's-style communication protocol that should, upon casual
consideration, be long
dead, and which has survived repeated forecasts of its demise because of
special
characteristics which make Morse suitable for applications its inventors
hadn't imagined,
the code persists in special military applications, in amateur radio,
and among radio
operators on smaller vessels or remote third-world police outposts.

It's dangerous to draw many parallels between Morse code and chemical
photographic
processes, but it says something about the larger issue of predicting
what aspects of
a particular technology will determine its future. As with Beta vs. VHS,
CD vs. DAT,
tube vs. transistor amplifiers for audiophiles, and the Dvorak keyboard
vs. QWERTY, it is possible that the inferior technologies will win
anyway or that the issue of which is superior
will never be resolved.

In favor of Morse, it allows the human mind to sort out garbage from
noise under poor conditions, and the human mind has so far proven better
than most, or maybe all, DSP
equipment at digging a digital signal such as Morse out of the muck. I
should add that
some do not agree with this statement, but in my experience it has
become easy to
pick whole words out of a garbled few dits and dahs, while the computer
beside me
spouts out a string of E's and T's, since it doesn't have the brain's
hunger for larger
patterns.

Similar to the economic notion of an inferior good, which is in high
demand because
its price is high, Morse may be more desirable to amateurs because it is
difficult to learn.
I am not going to make any judgment about whether a Leica M is an
inferior good because
I want to live. (Would sales of the M6HM increase if the price dropped
to $250? In my neighborhood they would, because you can never have too
many.)

I don't understand many things about the relative merits of film vs.
digital, but as for Morse
code, I would be surprised if it were no longer in use in 2050, but I
would be slightly less
surprised if it were: I can't skepticism about either possibility.

Also, I would like to add that whatever you feel about taping over the
red dot, I strongly
feel the opposite. If you're for it, I'm against it, and vice versa.

- -Al

[Typed on the Dvorak keyboard:
   pyfgcrl
aoeuidhtns