Subject: Re: [Leica] Things that go bump in the night (very long). Updated.
From: TTAbrahams@aol.com
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 1999 18:51:41 EST

Jim,
Thanks for the write up on film versus digital. That's why the LUG is great -
you learn something every day and today was a "humdinger" of learning. One
time in the early 70's I had a chance to work with a Philips SEM Microscope.
By today's standard it would be the Watts steam engine of Electron
Microscopes. It was an incredible machine. Filled a room with vacuum pumps,
gizmos and gadgets. A techno-freak's heaven. Most of the stuff I made images
of, were concrete samples, molecular structures of various additives in
concrete. Great fun. Enlarged salami sample from the cafeteria almost turned
me into a vegetarian and reduced the salami consumption for several weeks
after I printed a couple of shots made from these images and hung them in the
lunch room of the research facility. Nicely tinted with the old thiocarbamide
process too.
 Now I have to process some gigabytes of information stored in little yellow
and green cans. Mostly Tri-X and Neopan 1600, but it only takes a couple of
hours to process and store this stuff and it can be quickly retrieved and once
properly archivally processed, will last a long, long time with no fear of Y2K
or electronic crashes.
Thanks Jim.
Tom A