Subject: [Leica] The digital darkroom
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 1999 12:40:47 -0800

John,

You can be very happy with digital prints. Numerous people are. I have an
Alps 5000 (2400 dpi) that I am going to use for promotional material
(brochures, data sheets, flyers, etc.) but I'm personally not at all
interested in producing "photo" prints on a digital printer. First, you are
limited to either 8x10 or 11x17, depending upon which printer you get.
Second, those printers that will do 16x20's and above are "really"
expensive. The only real printer I see for anything other than small size
personal work, is a Fine Art Iris Giclée printer. Or perhaps a LightJet
5000. Both somewhat beyond the average budget.

Other than the actual taking of a photograph on film, there is little else
that gives satisfaction like producing your own masterpieces in a "real"
darkroom. There is something about the personal involvement from the
beginning to the end. That "you" are "personally" creating the print. I is
unforgiving in technique. You must expose the film properly, process the
film properly, in order to make a print that speaks for your efforts and
abilities.

The digital process allows one to be very sloppy from original photograph,
to final output. Lets face it... Photoshop can correct virtually anything
that you might have done wrong along the way. You can remove that piece of
litter you didn't see during the photographing. You can change the gamma of
that improperly exposed and/or improperly processed film. You can add
sparkle to that water, to that hair, to those eyes, since you forgot to
arrange yourself and/or the scene to take advantage of those things that
add so much to a photograph. Basically, you can create everything you
forgot, make adjustments for sloppy process, and generally create your
vision in the computer.

For me, this has little satisfaction.

It's akin to teaching someone photography with a fully automatic, autofocus
camera. The person never learns the process behind photography. The digital
darkroom, like digital photography, has it's place in the world. Everything
from happy snaps, to gifts, to office decor, to promotions, etc... There
are many many uses for digital prints. But remember, they are far from
archival. Dye sublimation has some ability to last. Ordinary ink jet output
is pathetic for longevity. There are sprays that help. But two years from
now, that digital print you hung on the wall will be gone. That B&W or
color "darkroom" print you made will still be an infant in it's archival life.

IMHO,

Jim