Subject: [Leica] Re: US navy 90 f1/fuji film pushed
From: Jeff Moore <jbm@jbm.org>
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 1999 17:24:39 -0500

At 7 Feb 1999 07:47:14 -0500, Andre Jean Quintal <megamax@abacom.com> wrote:

> Allo Jeff,
>
> 	You owe it to yourself to try out
> 	Kodak PMZ 1000 VS Fuji CZ Super G 800.

Ah.  My previous post didn't try to lay out mu entire fast-color-film history.
Actually, I've been using CZ for years, and it's become something of a standard
for me when I need that sort of speed in color.  I was trying two new emulsions
(for me) on the occasion I described.

I tried a Kodak 1000-speed film (perhaps is was Royal Gold 1000?) about six
months ago.  Fist-sized grain.  Pushed CZ has worked out better than that for
me.

I'm trying to get a handle on the current Fuji color-neg lineup.  Now, at 800
speed, there either exists or will exist:

    good old Super G Plus 800
    NHG II
    some sort of "photojournalist" line?
    CZ with "new extra-special Reala technology"?

So I've been trying NHG II, but I'd love to hear anybody else's ideas about
the strong/weak/all-the-same points of the above films relative to each other
(and, yes, the Kodak world).

Then there's Reala (for which I've had an immense fondness for years: I just
like the way it looks, even when I'm not shooting in weird
fluorescent-polluted light) and NPS (which the Fuji folk seem to claim is
every bit as good as Reala but faster).  I guess I'll have to try some of
that, too.

This doesn't happen really fast, though, because I usually shoot B&W, and I
haven't been in the mood for an explicit, techno-centric film test shoot.

 -J