Subject: [Leica] Winder M questions
From: "Boreham" <boreham@dial.pipex.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 19:39:07 -0000

At a camera fair in Derby (UK) yesterday I picked up a Leica Winder M
 current type 14403) for what I think was a good price (£125). After all the
bad comments on the LUG I am very pleasantly surprised by it, and will
definitely use it on suitable occasions. Three questions I would be very
grateful for answers to:-
(1) Is it necessary or advisable to switch the winder to the off position
when not using it? When the winder is not attached it winds continuously if
switched on, so when attached what is stopping it trying to go? Does it
switch itself off if the camera is stopping it winding on?
(2) If the winder is switched off, is it OK to wind on manually with the
camera's lever if there is a need mid film, eg min noise. Does the winder
mind being driven by the camera in this situation?
(3) At the end of the first test film, I couldn't push the rewind lever down
and had to remove the winder before it would move. Repeat tests have been
OK. Any advice?
Thanks very much for any input
By the way there was a V35 at the fair for £395  or offers. I was told by
another stallholder he would take £300 in cash for it. If I did 35mm only or
had space for two I would have jumped.
Mike