Subject: Re: [Leica] US navy 90 f1/fuji film pushed
From: TTAbrahams@aol.com
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 19:48:33 EST

ELCAN (Ernst Leitz Canada) did indeed make a 90/1. It is a monster lens, no
focussing helicoil, only 3 spacers that set the lens up for 50meters, 100
meters and infinity. Rumours have it that this lens was used for low level
aerial surveillance from a helicopter. Evidently the pilot flew at a preset
altitude, 50meter!!!!, in the dark and when something needed to be recorded he
fired the camera/flash outfit. There were 2 flashes set up, prefocussed to the
same distance as the spacer ring on the lens. I haven't owned one of these
monsters and have no great desire to do so. A collector friend of mine has one
and one of these days I will force him to take it out of the case and allow me
to shoot a roll with it. Would be fun to see what it would do at f1 on
TechPan. I would need a measuring tape though, even at 50 meters the depth of
field is shallow! These lenses usually sell in the $6-8000 range, they are not
that rare. Most big auctions have one of these for sale (Christie's/Cornwall,
etc.)  Limited use and I would prefer the elusive 75/2,4 Apo that ELCAN made —
smaller and with a proper helicoil.
Tom A