Subject: [Leica] R8 Woes. The puzzle is about finished,
From: Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 18:06:25 -0800

but the dog ate some of the pieces. This is when you utter a four letter word.

I sure like my R7's, winders, and drives. They sure do work perfectly.
Really nice SLR cameras. As was my R6 and R4sP's.

I just could not fathom that bass-ackwards Nikon stuff. I'm surprised they
don't have the shutter release on the left side. We have a Canon EOS 1n
here in the lab and I find it awkward and cheap feeling. I'm a Leica kinda guy.

I think Leica should bite the bullet and declare war on the R8 "system".
This recall/patch business (basically let the consumer debug the camera)
does absolutely nothing buy drive their reputation to new lows. What the
hell are they thinking??? That it'll just go away and everything will be
fine and dandy??? BS! Wake the hell up!!!

If someone asked you what you think about the competency of Leica AG to
produce a state of the art SLR camera, what would you reply?

We all know they can do it. So why haven't they??? I have the highest
regard for Leica engineering. So it must be someone else's fault...?

I'm sure happy that the R7's and system are such solid workhorses. I've
been taking photographs with R cameras since 1976. Thousands and thousands
of rolls, always with winders, and NEVER a single hiccup. They have all
worked flawlessly. As has my M6. But it's not even a year old yet.

We all know that the R4sP, R5, R6, R7, and all M cameras are solid designs,
and work hard producing images for the photographer's vision. And really
are dependable, through thick and thin, heat and cold, Death Valley to
Everest. So I'll keep my tried and true dependable workhorses.

Anybody today, thinking about buying an R8, either thinks they are
extremely lucky, or really doesn't need the camera. It and/or the winder
may spend more time in FedEx's hands than in the photographers hands.

Too bad about the R8! It could be a dynamite camera. I'll wait for the R8sP
announcement.

Jim