Subject: [Leica] film scanners
From: "Gary and Dawn Klein" <gdklein@bytehead.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 22:13:16 -0600

Luggers in search of a good 35 and medium format scanner.

You may want to try an find a used Leafscan 45.  They were horribly
expensive, but they used Schneider optics and were 40 bit in depth.  I think
with the new scanners on the market you may be able to locate a used one for
the price of one of the cheaper units.  If you want just the leaf 35, its
has the same optics, but it is a slower 3 pass scanner but with the superb
40 bit depth.  Its a real sleeper.  Many newspapers had them in the early
scanner era, so you may be able to snare one somewhere like that.  The 40
bit depth really gives excellent color rendition.  They work with a scsi
card and you can get software for both mac and pcs.

I think used leaf 35s go for 2000 g used and the 45 around 4grand.  They are
the next step to drum scanners IMHO.

gck