Subject: Re: [Leica] IIIf question
From: Peter Goldberg <peterg@martinhamblin.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 14:01:54 -0500

- --------------E898661051C3C21A3D7CF5B2

Dan Post wrote:

>  Peter-
> First of all, thanks for the clarification. I checked and both the IIIf
> cameras I have are RD, so that would explain their same settings.
> The other thing was a question from Lucien about early 'f' cameras with
> 'lightweight' shutters. Would this be the 'improvement' that went into later
> RD 'f' series Leicas? Did Leitz try them out in a run of IIf cameras?
> As I said, I have used both and supposedly the RD had a 'quieter' shutter,
> though I couldn't really hear a difference ( Hell, I'm tone deaf too-so who
> can tell?).
> I also would like to know the differences in the IIIc and IIIb; I saw a IIIc
> gray "K" in the KEH catalog, and comparing it with my IIIc, I noticed that
> it had the little knob on the RF focussing lever like I had seen on the 'b'
> series cameras. What makes this one a 'c' rather than a 'b'? or do you just
> have to go by serial numbers?

Well now, I only know what I have been told & read, genufluctions to Lager et
al.

The issue re the light weight shutter I have often puzzled over; the only
reference I ever came across was the bald notation on pg 135 of the Pocket
Book.  Nothing seen elsewhere to amplify - offers please.

The knob on the r/f focus lever is easier to explain:  parts bins around model
changeover time, replacement parts at some time in a previous life, possibly
even at the request of an earlier owner - take your pick.  See also photo of a
IIIc on pg 26 of aforesaid book, shows just that.

Difference between b & c, I understand, were largely in construction:  the c has
a die cast body and is 1/8" longer; certainly some additional engineering
modifications .  Additionally the c has a raised triangular platform under the
rewind knob and a different pattern shutter release guard; the latter again may
vary from machine to machine, as per note above.

Anyway, according to my wife I know nothing about anything

Peterg

(..recycling greyhounds)

- --------------E898661051C3C21A3D7CF5B2

&nbsp;
IIIf
with
later
who
a IIIc
that
the 'b'
you just
Well now, I only know what I have been told &amp; read, genufluctions to
Lager <i>et al.</i>
only reference I ever came across was the bald notation on pg 135 of the
Pocket Book.&nbsp; Nothing seen elsewhere to amplify - offers please.
around model changeover time, replacement parts at some time in a previous
life, possibly even at the request of an earlier owner - take your pick.&nbsp;
See also photo of a IIIc on pg 26 of aforesaid book, shows just that.
the c has a die cast body and is 1/8" longer; certainly some additional
engineering modifications .&nbsp; Additionally the c has a raised triangular