Subject: Re: [Leica] perspective control lens
From: Andre Jean Quintal <megamax@abacom.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 07:59:05 -0500

At 02:51 +0000 11/02/99, John S Doherty wrote:
>  Could someone give me some pointers on using a perspective control
> lens ?  I want to do a project this Spring of shooting old New
> England churches.  Many of these buildings are now in fairly
> densely developed areas and it's often not possible to find a
> vantage point which avoids converging verticals.

	If you're rich and enjoy equipment that someday
	would be worthwhile to museums, there's the
	beautiful Hasselblad ArcBody with either
	a 35mm or 45mm piece of German optics...

	A 4" x 5": whew !
	Altogether different, but probably
	a very intelligent move if you have further uses
	for it, if you don't become cross-eyed in the process.

	In 35mm format, a very wide lens could be an alternate,
	and a PC variant, the 28mm PC-Super-Angulon for
	instance, CAN do the trick. As far as light is
	concerned, you are 100% right: extreme lighting,
	with possible fill in flash to liven dead shadows,
	preferably in the first and last hours of the day,
	to enhance the clapboard as much as possible,
	at the time of year when the sun is at the proper
	angle for the proposed shot.
	Use slow speed film for maximum impact,
	AND a tripod.

	Perhaps should you consider RENTING
	if this happens to be a one time event or marginal
	pursuit relative to your usual photo interests.

	This is also an application where special effects filters
	can be most welcome.

	Try no to forget "human interest" elements in your shots,
	the shortcoming of most such architectural work.
	And, many seem to neglect their
	foreground / middleground / background rules
	and to properly "populate" their images.
	Think SPACE !

	One alternate would be to use extreme wide angle
	and make creative use of abusive converging lines
	against a dramatic sky, say pola in Agfa Ultra 50 or
	25 red in Ilford Delta 100 or Agfa APX-25 B&W...
	if you can manage to get the camera to the right
	vantage point. Beware of lens flare if your lighting
	scheme is 3/4 or backlit.
	If there is a lot of greenery, the filtering will
	have to be more strategic, unless you take-off
	on infra-red, an altogether different approach.

	Enjoy !

	Andre Jean Quintal