Subject: Re: [Leica] here's a concept, Summilux vs. Noctilux
From: Alan Ball <AlanBall@csi.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 19:10:36 +0100

Ted

The idea is that the depth of field is quite a bit wider at same
distance for a 35mm at f1.4 than for the 50mm at f1, thus leaving more
room for 'acceptable error'. At same magnification whatever the focal
length, f1.4 is more forgiving than f1 (and less than f2). Seems obvious
to me.

I have no figures right here, but they were published on this list,
arguing on the precision of the M6 rangefinder and the acceptable
tolerance between the exact point of focus and the point of focus
indicated by the RF. Just as a 50mm at f1.4 is easier -or safer- to
focus (precisely) than a 75mm at f1.4.

So my idea, which is also supported in the LHSA article pointed to me by
J. Beal ( http://wanda.pond.com/~lhsa/articles/summilux.html ), is that
the most efficient 'master of darkness' in the M range might well be the
35mm f1.4-Summilux (asph) rather than the Noctilux, the 1 stop advantage
of the Nocti being compensated by the probable better tolerance to
slower shutter speed (1 stop ?) of a wider angle and by the security
brought in by wider DoF....

Or am i missing something here ?

Alan