Subject: [Leica] Leica test on new 135/3.4 APO M
From: "Kotsinadelis, Peter (Peter)" <peterk@lucent.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 14:06:49 -0800

For what its worth, I have this lens and it is superb, agreeing with the
tests below.
I agree 100% with the statement 2nd paragraph that indicates the area in the
viewfinder is very small and it is difficult to judge the size, but focus is
OK.  It is better though with the .85x M6 than with the .72x that I am
currently using with it.  OTOH, I like the .72x better for the 35 and 28mm
focal lengths.

Peter K

<snip>Apo-Telyt-M 135/3.4

5 stars (maximum) for performance
2 stars for quality/price ratio
2 stars for côte d'amour

This test confirms the lens is a top performer (best contrast/sharpness
performance is at f/5.6, but the results wide open and at f/8 are quite
equal, that is very high also). Distorsion is minimal (slight cushion),
vignetting quite small wide open (less than half an f-stop). Slightly
warm rendering.

There are two practical flaws however. First the focusing ring is
somewhat hard to turn which makes it difficult to focus quickly, and
secondly -more serious- there is the question of the usability of this
lens with a rangefinder camera that does not have any kind of optical or
electronic focusing aids (because the area in the viewfinder is very
small which makes it very difficult to focus correctly). This lens,
although superb quality, should therefor only be considered by those who
really need this focal length.<snip>