Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Enlarger lenses
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 20:32:15 -0800

Kip Babington wrote:

> Gary Todoroff wrote:
> >
> > I just purchased a used EL-Nikkor 80/5.6 enlarging lens, apparently an older
> > style with a barrel that is partly chrome nearest the rear element and black
> > for the f-stop ring. Looks brand new. Does anyone have any experience or
> > comments on this lens?

This is the lens which is on my enlarger now and is what I've used for
most of my 35mm printing and 20 by 24's in MF. It works great. It's my
impression that although it might be the or a standard of the industry
it might not be state of the art. So I'm shopping around. I got mine
used for less than a hundred bucks about eight years ago. An unbeatable
deal. The 105 is in a higher price bracket and has a reputation to
match. My direct experience with it at a rental lab confirms this. But
I'm shopping for a Focatar or Schneider or something that will inspire
me more than I am now, It could easily turn out that for twice or three
times the money the results might not be all that better if at all. So
I'm checking it out.
Mark Rabiner