Subject: [Leica] Trip to Italy -Reply
From: Gareth Jolly <gareth.jolly@minters.com.au>
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 14:55:06 +1000

I can't comment on Leica dealers.  Some of the better camera dealers
seem to be around the Vatican area, though.

Many galleries etc (including the Vatican if I remember correctly) will
allow you to photograph without a flash.  Some don't allow photography
at all and you'll need to surrender your camera at the cloakroom (e.g the
gallery at the Borghese gardens in Rome).

You need to watch out for thieves - less muggers, as people
(particularly gypsy kids) who'll try and steal your bag, wallet, camera
etc.  An old trick (tried a couple of times on me, fortunately without
success) is for 2 gypsy kids to approach you.  One will come up to you
pointing at a newspaper, jabbering italian.  While you're trying to work out
what's going on (believe me the whole thing can be quite bewildering)
he'll put the newspaper up against you to conceal his hands while he
picks your pockets.  Meanwhile his accomplice, by that time behind you,
will go through your backpack.

This happened to me near the Vatican and also in Milan.

I did what I could to avoid being robbed by wearing a money belt under
my clothes, while carrying a wallet with a few thousand lire in my side
pocket.  I held onto my camera;  I carried a lens or two in a pouch on my
belt;  I wore an overcoat, which both concealed the camera gear and
made it a bit more difficult for someone to get at.  I also carried a non
descript backpack (i.e an ordinary backpack, not a pack designed for
camera gear).

You'd want to be careful with your second body as you presumeably
won't be holding onto it if something happens.

Of course, you can't get too worried about these things - otherwise
you'll miss out on the highlights of the trip.  But sensible precautions are a
good idea.

Enjoy the trip.

Regards
Gareth Jolly

>>> Bill Grimwood <bgrim@garply.com> 13/February/1999 01:44am >>>
I will be going on vacation to Italy (and I know that is not America) ( I
have learned my lesson well)  ( all in good fun) in a few weeks, 4 days
in
Rome and 4 days in Florence.  Can anyone recommend some good Leica
dealers?
 I am always looking for a good piece of used equipment.  Is the
exchange
rate good?

I think my equipment will be as follows:  2 M bodies,  21mm, Tri Elmar, 50
Noctilux, and 90 Elmarit and a small flash.  Do any of you have been
there
have any other recommendations.  Are tourists allowed to make photos
inside
the buildings of the Vatican?  This will be a  new experience for me as I
have only been to the Italian Alps.

Is there any crime problem I need to be especially aware of?

Thanks in advance

Bill Grimwood