Subject: Re: [Leica] new in group m2/m3
From: Alex Hurst <corkflor@iol.ie>
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 10:08:09 +0000

Carlos Blanco wrote:

>     Hi, my name is Carlos Blanco, I'm >from Argentina  and I'm new in the
>group. I have recently bought a M2 with a Summicron 50  1:2 all for $1300.
>In Argentina Leica prices tend to vary a lot: you can get a  35mm for the
>M3 with the viewfinder adapter for $350 but a brand new M6 is $3000  and a
>new summicron M $1000.   I would like to know if I have done a (rather)
>good purchase. I decided for the M2 because:     1- someday I'd like to
>buy a  35mm (H Cartier Bresson used to say that he never used the 135mm)
>    2- it was newer than the  M3     3- automatic film counter and  self
>timer were not important for me.   I imagine that the discussion M2 vs M3
>is as old  as the cameras themselves but nontheless I'd like to receive
>your opinions about  it. 1- is it true that the ideal body for the 50mm
>is the M3 due to the viewfinder 2- I know that the M2 was intended to be
>an  economic version of the M3 but, that affected also the quality of the
>body or  only the elements that were not included, etc   thank you and
>forgive me for my indian-like  english
Hi Carlos, and welcome to this peculiar group of malt whisky-drinking Leica
nuts.

First, never apologise for your English - I'm sure it's a lot better than
most people's Spanish on the LUG. So long as we understand what you're
saying - and there's no difficulty there - that's just fine.

I've used two M3s and an M2 for years.

It's certainly true that the M3's finder is outstanding for 50mm, and of
course you're getting a bigger image for the 90mm frame too, compared to
the M2. I occasionally use a 35mm with spectacles on the M3, but much
prefer using a straight 35/1.4 Summilux on the M2.

As far as build quality is concerned, the M2 certainly isn't a 'cheap'
version of the M3. Having to re-set the counter is no big deal, and in
nearly all other respects it handles and functions just the same. Sounds
like you got a reasonable deal - but remember this kit tends to be
considerably cheaper in the US where there's a lot more of it. And, of
course, you can pick up some wonderful bargains from your fellow-LUGnuts on
Fridays (whenever they are).

Hope you enjoy our discussions of matters Leica and non-Leica, and looking
forward to seeing further posts from you. Are there any other Argentinian
LUGgers out there?

Slan

Alex

Alex Hurst