Subject: Re: [Leica] here's a concept, Summilux vs. Noctilux
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 00:57:52 +0100

Andrew,

I owned a Summilux until late December, when I traded it in for a new
Summicron. A few weeks earlier I had acquired a Noctilux. From comparing these
lenses, there is no question that using the normal criteria, the Noctilux is
inferior at comparable apertures (note, however, that when speaking of Leica
lenses, "inferior" is a relative term). But it is a magic lens at f1 or f1.4. I
am looking at some pictures from my son's piano recital a couple of weeks ago,
taken with the Noctilux at f1 on Ilford Delta 100. Shutter speeds were in the
1/30-1/15 vicinity. Just being able to do that is amazing. As others have
pointed out, focusing in such light at f1 is difficult, but when you do get it
right, the words "selective focus" take on a new meaning.

In summary, if I could only have one 50mm lens, it would be the Summilux. Since
I am able to have two, I find the Summicron and the Noctilux to be a great
combination.

Nathan

A S Jordan wrote:

> Many of us would welcome a comparative discussion of the 50mm Noctilux vs.
> the Summilux. If at the same aperure(say, f1.4 and f2) the Noctilux is
> superior in performance to the Summilux that could stimulate Solms to
> produce a modern asph 50mm f1.4 Summilux-M.
>
> regards, Andrew Jordan

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Overijse, Belgium