Subject: [Leica] R8
From: Alastair Firkin <firkin@netconnect.com.au>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 12:01:23 +1100

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
1. Yes, I have had to send back one or more R8 (body nr XXXX, bought in
mm/yy) for fixing of factory induced problems (name problem in 5 words
max).
2. No, I have bever had to send back one of my R8 (body nr XXXX bought
in mm/yy)
3. I have had to send back a R8 due to a user induced incident
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

1. YES,
body 249XXXX
winder problems [Leica claimed it was a faulty shutter and winder was fine]
returned with the same fault, back in Germany.

The R8 without a winder seems to be a fine manual camera. Most of us are
reporting problems, electrical contact/triggering with the system. Those
gold dots seem to be part of the problem.

The R8 can be recommended for anyone using a manual wind/manual focus
camera, and wanting the best in contempory glass [at a price ;-) ] I would
hesitate to recommend a winder combo to anyone at the moment. I add again
that the service has been fine from our local supplier, and I'm still
hoping Leica will fix the thing, or replace it.

Cheers

Alastair Firkin,