Subject: Re: [Leica] 1,4/80 and 1,4/75
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 08:48:19 -0800

Erwin wrote:

<<<<Ten years ago I would have given these lenses higher marks than today.
Since the 1,4 and 2,0 ASPH family we are in a different game as far as full
aperture performance is concerned.>>>>>

Hi Erwin,

That being the case, does the aspherical configuration make for a better
negative for the cost?  It does seem many LUG members stop there lenses
down several stops and if the optical improvement is only appreciated wide
open or near so, why are so many drooling over the aspherical glass?

I know why I use them, as I generally try to work at the widest possible
aperture and highest possible shutter speeds all the time. Unless I require
a great depth of field, then obvious I reverse the technique.

Comment?

ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant