Subject: Re: [Leica] Uses of M series - M2/M6 rangefinder spot brightness
From: "Bill" <ohlen@lightspeed.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 10:22:44 -0800

Simon Pulman-Jones writes

>This is only my second posting to the list - the first, about use of R
>lenses on a Viso III, received no response, so I hope for better luck this
>time.

Sorry I could not help you with R lens to M camera use.  I went the other way
and integrated the M lenses and bellows to the R6 body.
<<snip>>

>I have a question that relates to an M6 0.85 that I have acquired recently.
>I am surprised to find that the rangefinder image (the one that moves as you
>change focus) of the M6 0.85 is less bright and contrasty than that of my
>1959 vintage M2. There isn't an enormous difference but it is definitely
>there - the M2 double image is easier to focus. The higher magnification of
>the M6 is very useful for fine focusing on the 50 and 90 - but I'm a little
>disappointed by the double image.

I have an M3 rather than the M2.  I find the M6 0.85 to be vastly inferior to
the M3.  Because of this, I am avery unhappy with the M6.  The M6 viewfinder
appears to be brighter but there is not as much contrast.  In addition, I find
that the M6 viewfinder flares to the extent that it is unusable in low-light
backlit situations.  I bought the M6 0.85 specifically to use the 75/1.4.  I
find myself using the M3 and guessing at the frame.  (The M3 has the verticle
portion of the RF slightly out and I still find it more usable than the M6).

>Does this tally with other people's experience? Or should I be sending the
>M6 back to Leica for attention?

Let me know if you send yours back and if it helps.

Regards,  Bill Larsen
ohlen@lightspeed.net