Subject: [Leica] Re: focusing the 75/1.4 & new lenses
From: Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 18:10:00 -0800

Hmmmm... I have a Classic M6 and a 75/1.4 . I routinely shoot close-ups at
f/1.4 . Portraits of people's faces in meetings, etc. It seems like the
lens focuses exactly where I focus. I never get photographs focused other
than exactly where I focused. I understand the theory behind the RF base
and I read Erwin's report. But regardless of all of that... I cannot
comprehend having a focusing problem. I completely understand DOF and how
to apply it, even at f/1.4 and 3 or 4 feet. What I want in focus, is
"always" in focus.

I'm baffled by your post on focusing???

And most of us understand the relevance of Erwin's sharpness posts. We
understand that in order to actually obtain the "extra" qualities that the
newest lenses offer, we "must" use all of the techniques, well known to
photographers, for exploiting these qualities. Mainly a tripod, slow or
very slow film, cable release, no wind, still subject, correct exposure,
correct processing, etc, etc, etc... Even Erwin himself eluded to this in
his posts. This is very well understood. It's not rocket science! It is
simply basic knowledge.

So there is no mystery here either.

Your ranting has a depressed tone about it. What am I missing? Nothing
you've said seems relevant??? Except "don't modify your 75/1.4".

:)

Jim