Subject: Re: [Leica] 80 Summilux-R or 90-Summicron-R?
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 09:14:04 -0600

At 09:39 PM 2/15/99 -0800, you wrote:
>Are both of these lenses near perfection at the same aperture, f/5.6?

Francesco,

I'd say the 90 Summicron R which I have used for years, is at it's best at
f/4. That's my own experience. I haven't done any testing, but f/4 is just
amazing. Shoot, wide open is just fine. I have never hesitated to use it
wide open. Tack sharp. And it works great close up too. It's my favorite
basketball lens.

But I'd probably get an 80 Summilux if I didn't already have the 75
Summilux. But on the R, the 90 is much smaller and lighter. Which helps
when travelling. I'm still hoping that Leica will come out with the 90 ASPH
APO some day for the R. So I don't plan to get an 80 Summilux. The 90 is a
great lens already, so why spend the money? Knowing you, I suspect the 100
Apo Macro would be a better choice, if you don't need the speed. Otherwise,
the 80 Summilux would be a better complement to that lens than either of
the 90s.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

The best lack all conviction, while the worst \ Are full of passionate
intensity. -William Butler Yeats [The Second Coming]