Subject: RE: [Leica] Younger photographers and Leica rangefinders
From: Jeffrey Hausner <Buzz@marianmanor.org>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 13:25:53 -0500

> I guess it all comes down to what produces the best results for what we're
>
> trying to do? Just as photography put engravers out of business of doing
> pictures for newspapers in the late 19th century, and 35mm killed Rollei
> and 4x5 at newspapers, maybe digital will too. But the art of photography
> will be with us for many years, simply because the absolute image quality
> will stay ahead of digital, or film manufacturers will go out of business.
>
> Eric Welch
> St. Joseph, MO

	You are, of course, correct.  The question then becomes whether or
not digital equipment will be developed to the point that we can argue over
the subtle differences lying within the technology just as we argue over the
subtle differences between Leica lenses.  It does seem that this group tends
to view digital technology in-- pardon me-- binary terms.  "There is digital
technology, it is good."  "There is digital technology, it is bad."  In
forty years, will photographers wax nostalgic over the characteristics of
the long lost Digilux?

		Buzz Hausner