Subject: [Leica] Ergonomics and Leicaflex/Leica R Cameras.
From: "Anderson, Ferrel" <AndersonF@ria.army.mil>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 14:55:51 -0600

Of all the Leica SLR cameras, I find that the original Leicaflex (Leicaflex
Standard Mark 1 and Mark 2) has the best ergonomics.  The body is just the
right size to fit my hands, the shutter release in the perfect position, and
the weight and balance are also superb.  I have found that I can take much
sharper pictures with this camera handheld at low shutter speeds than I can
with my Leica RE and R6 cameras.  I also use the Leicaflex SL camera, but
find that its slightly greater height degrades its ergonomics.  I have held
the R8 camera, but find it to be too large and not as friendly as the
Leicaflex.  Another advantage of the Leicaflex is the viewfinder.   although
it is more difficult to focus than the R cameras, and you cannot determine
depth of field with it, once it is in focus the image is bright, contrasty,
unobstructed, without color cast, and unequaled.

On the other hand, the RE and R6 cameras are superb.  Their vastly superior
features make them much better cameras than the Leicaflexes, and I use them
almost exclusively.  Unfortunately, they are too small, and the bodies are
too thin.

It is always a pleasure to use the Leicaflexes, and to realize that they are
truly unique and wonderful cameras.  Too bad the R series cameras don't
share their ergonomics.

Ferrel Anderson