Subject: Re: [Leica] M carrying case
From: csocolow <csocolow@microserve.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 21:47:13 -0500

Joe Berenbaum wrote:

> At 04:42 PM 2/16/99 -0800, you wrote:
> >>Hopefully,
> >>one of these days the inspector won't look at the ASA dial on the back
> >>of the camera while he's looking through the viewfinder to make sure
> >>there's nothing hidden inside the camera.
> >
> >I suppose this must have been addressed on the LUG some while back?
> >I've found it quite amusing when my M6 gets inspected that way. I always
> >make sure to take the lens-cap off first as well!
> >Byron.
>
> Forgive me for being obtuse, but I've been trying to work out what the ASA
> dial reference there means. I understand that its funny that someone would
> think he is looking "through the camera" with a rangefinder, but the ASA
> dial bit eludes me totally, and I hate to think I'm missing something. Can
> nyone explain?
>
> Joe Berenbaum

Joe,

In this case I had mentioned to the inspectors that I had 3200 film in
the camera in order that it be hand-checked and  not passed through
x-ray inspection. The ASA dial on the back of the M6, however, was set
at 400 which was the film speed I had in it. The inspector looked
through the viewfinder (as they've been trained to do with SLR's) to
make sure that it was operational and nothing was hidden inside. He took
no notice of what the dial was actually set to. The snip from my
original post above did not contain my original references.
- --
Carl Socolow

http://members.tripod.com/SocPhoto/