Subject: [Leica] Photographers Gathering, rangefinders, etc...
From: Charles <chaslor@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 99 22:18:50 -0400

Subject:     Photographers Gathering, rangefinders, etc...
Sent:        2/16/99 9:24 PM
To:          leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us

Recently, I was invited to show my work in New York by a group of
professionals I admire greatly. I received a letter from Howard Schatz
(>howardschatz.com<) to show my work at a monthly gathering he is
involved in. Those included in the meeting are a who's who of New York's
advertising photographers. People such as Jay Maisel showed their work
that week. I was truly playing with the big boys. The work we viewed that
evening was stunning.  I showed a blend of professional and personal
work. The purpose of the gathering was to talk about the work and
otherwise stimulate discussion about photography as art. My personal work
was almost entirely Leica photography. The feedback was resounding. The
personal work got the attention. Not that the professional stuff was bad,
it's just that the Leica stuff had something I can't quite define. It had
what it took. I have an M6. I also have the complete Nikon SLR deal and a
complete Hasselblad system. With two lenses and an M6 I can do more in a
week than I could hope to accomplish in a year with my full
Nikon/Hasselblad rig. It's really a comparison of the rangefiner vs the
SLR style of working. I don't have a Leica SLR system so I can't compare.
But with my limited rangefinder system I seem to be able to capture more
than my well rounded SLR system. It's all about the way we see and the
way we choose to put what we see on film.

I say this because it's not about the equipment, it's about personal
vision. My Leica way of thinking has improved my personal vision. Let
your own vision describe your path. Allow the Leica to lead you along.

On a different note, I visited many galleries and saw much photography. I
visited Tamarkin and shot a few frames on my M6 with the much desired
24mmASPH and 50mm NOCT. I have the contact proofs now and seem to need
these lenses all of the sudden. You LUGGERS are guilty of my lust and
should kindly send cash/checks to me in order to satisfy my needs ;)

Take care,       charles