Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Old vs. new lenses - Summarit & Summitar
From: D Khong <dkhong@pacific.net.sg>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 12:30:21 +0000

>I can respond indirectly to the general question regarding the differences
>between old and new lensess. Yesterday I madesome protraits using two 50mm
>lenses. One was a one-year-old Summicron; the other was a forty-year-old
>Summarit f1.5.
<snip>
The Summarit negs have a lot of flare, and reduced contrast all around. The
model asked
>for a lens that was less sharp because of wrinkle-dread, hence the trial of
>the older lens. However, she preferred the Summicron prints.
<snip>
>Sincerely,
>Joe Stephenson

The summarit is not one of leitz's better lenses and is no fight for the
summicron.  I sold mine after putting one roll through and found low
contrast, poor performance at larger apertures, flare...... all very
disappointing.

On the other hand the summitar is a very nice older lens, sharp and
contrasty. If given the choice of a fine performer at a decent and
affordable price, the summitar is the way to go.

Dan K.