Subject: Re: [Leica] B&W, TMAX100
From: Kevin Leong <kevinl@ind.tansu.com.au>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 21:44:30 +1100

Mark Rabiner wrote:

> I think the xtol bug might be heat, I just read a thing on that. It has
> to be not mixed up too warm or stored too warm. !!!!??

Thanks for the tip. I don't think that was a problem though - the ambient room temperature here rarely exceeds
the recommended maximum mixing temperature of 28 degrees C and it certainly didn't when I ran the tests. There
has been a lot of chatter on rec.photo.films+labs and rec.photo.darkroom about problems with XTOL ranging to
complete development failure for a variety of reasons; I know from a number of reliable, independent sources
that Kodak recalled a batch of one litre packs due to moisture problems with Part A which may explain this (or
perhaps only complicate things further) - apparently, the trick here is to discard the developer if Part A is
not in dry, loose condition.