Subject: [Leica] Re: Film, Cameras, Customs & France
From: Jim Bauman <jbauman@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 12:33:19 -0800

Gary wrote:

>I shall be traveling to France....

I travel in Europe a lot -- here are a few hints that may help.

1. NEVER pack film in your checked luggage!!

2. In the US, guys at the xray machines usually let you put your film in the
container where your keys go when you pass through the metal detector
(assuming
it's out of the box). I carry 10 rolls and buy the rest overseas.
Look for a good lab over there to at least process your negs. Easier
to carry back!

3. You probably won't even see French customs. If you have nothing to declare,
just walk right on by and smile a lot. Try to look confused too -- that
helps!

4. None of this apples to the UK, by the way. If they had their way,
small babies in car seats would be run through the xray machines. But,
then again, they have good reason....

5. I've never had a problem with US customs and my cameras. Unless you
have suitcases full of bodies, lenses, strobes, etc. etc., registration
isn't needed. But I say that, and I'm sure someone will reply with a
horror story!

Jim Bauman