Subject: Re: [Leica] [Off topic] Darkroom Survey Response
From: "Bryan Caldwell" <bcaldwell@softcom.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 17:47:20 -0800

Might as well add me to the list - for a while I felt guilty about not
responding, so I didn't add my .02 worth.

I've done all my own B&W for 25 years. I currently have a darkroom that is
about 7'x7' with a 6' sink. Enlarger is a Saunders 6700 that I bought when I
had a previous darkroom where size was a major issue. Nikon 50mm 2.8 and
80mm 4.0. Kinderman stainless tanks and reels after playing around with just
about everything else out there. I was a devoted Tri-X user for over 20
years but have recently (and after a tremendous amount of consternation)
switched to primarily Ilford HP5 usually developed in ID-11 if I've
remembered to mix it up ahead of time or in Ifosol-S if I haven't. I also go
through periods where I use Edwal FG-7 a lot. I use a lot of different
papers, but use fiber double weight for everything except contact sheets. I
selenium tone most prints and mount them with an ancient Seal dry-mounting
press. Leica rangefinders (2 M6's and an M2, with 21mm, 28mm, 35mm Summilux,
50mm Summicron, Noctilux, and 90 Summicron) and my beloved (but old) Rollei
2.8F TLR. I will confess to periods of several years each involving Nikons,
Hasselbalds, Leica R, and Olympus OM's. Always come back to the Leica M's
and the Rollei TLR, though. When I travel I usually take everything along
with a Gitzo 226, Leica tabletop tripod and ole Leitz large ball head as
well as a Sekonic L-408 and an old L-398. I always liked the fact that with
the 398 and Leica you can be completely independent of batteries.

Bryan