Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: those movies
From: Malcolm McCullough <blayne@mbox2.singnet.com.sg>
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 01:24:31 +0800

>Does Leica make MP cameras or lenses? Now if they were filmed with a
>Summicron, I might give it a thought.  :)
>
>Jim

 A while ago, when I asked the cinematography list about using R lenses on
an MP camera, I was told that Leica make some lenses for Panavision. Well,
someone has to, I guess. Apart from those specials there are a few R lenses
which are adapted for use with MP cameras.

Z****, in their literature, say that MP lenses should have their best MTF
in the 20 to 30 lppmm range, and that finer detail is distracting in a
moving image. My own preference is for Angenieux lenses on 16 mm and Z****
for 35 mm. The price tag on a 'Standard' T2 50 mm lens (DM7000 or
thereabouts) makes the Noctilux look like it is intended for disposable
cameras and the 'variable primes' (DM40000) make any R zoom look cheap and
tacky. And remember, these things only have to cover half-frame.

One issue is flange focal depth. Most reflex movie cameras require a larger
ffd than most still cameras. For example the Panaflex ffd is 57.12 mm and
the Arriflex is 52.00 in comparison to 47.15 mm for the R and 27.35 mm for
the M. Note that (!!! special interest warning !!!) the ffd is 0.02 mm
beneath the emulsion surface for colour films. Do you know how long I have
been waiting to tell that to someone?

Regards,
Malcolm