Subject: [none]
From: "Neil Miller" <plus_4@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 00:11:29 PST

Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 18:25:50 -0500
From: kabob@tiac.net (Bob Keene/Karen Shehade)
Subject: Re: [Leica] Tele-Elmarit 90M(was:Elmar C 90mm)

I recently purchased a 90 /2.8 M Tele-Elmarit; so this thread is abit
frightening to me- I haven't had a chance to run extensive tests yet
with
the Tele; I  just did some headshots last night; but has anyone else
developed an opinion like Mark's on this lens? Chris's comments are
encouraging, but I'll be using the lens handheld with fast film;
probably
3200.... last night I was using strobes and XP2 Super rated at 320  f8
1/2
@ 1/45th. We'll see what we see, but I'll welcome any comments. I don't
want to think I've bought a 'dog'.....

Bob Keene
"nobody's Pal, Everyone's something...."
(I'm Co-Dependant No More!- unless that upsets you....)

Bob,

I sold my 90mm/2.0 Summicron back in the 60's because of its weight and
replaced it with a 90mm/2.8 Tele-Elmarit.  I haven't looked back.  It's
a fine lens.  On the same note I tried to upgrade my 35mm/2.0 Summicron
in the 70's.  I traded even (this should have been a red flag) for a
35mm/1.4 Summilux.  It didn't take me long to realise what a dog the new
lens was.  I believe it was a problem with the individual lens not the
entire run.  Within 6 months I was back to a 35mm/2.0 Summicron.  This
might be the problem Mark R. had with his 90mm Tele-Elmarit.  The lens
might not have been up to specs for some reason.

An individual lenses performance can change with time.  I found that out
the hard way.  After stock pileing 3-4 months shooting, I started
processing.  To my amazement everything I shot with my 21mm/4.0 Super
Angulon became increasingly soft.  It took about 10 seconds to solve the
problem.  The rear element was slowly unscrewing!  Lesson learned ...
Don't wait 3-4 months to process.

Neil