Subject: [Leica] (Fwd) Re: film scanners
From: "Tim Spragens" <t.spragens@cityweb.de>
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 1999 00:33:39 +0100

(bad address on the previous - sorry if this ends up as a double
post)
> With all due respect, I hardly think so, Tim. The Nikon Super Coolscan
> LS-2000 has an optical density of 3.6 (the Polaroid 3.4), and above all,
> it has the digital ICE feature which will save you a LOT of retouching
> time.
> This alone is the primary reason for going with the Nikon instead of the
> Polaroid.

Certainly a "wait and see" situation. The short promo listed seemed
to indicate that Polaroid has something similar to ICE. I'm very
curious what the results will be.

When I'm scanning my own, I clean well, so the retouch is usually
not a problem except with some old film.

If you are using the CoolScan 2000, please satisfy my curiosity on
one point. I've heard that the color gradation can be abrupt
(someone complained about the lack of delicate hue in a photo of a
rose), and wonder if the light source may cause this.

I don't have a prejudice towards Nikon or Polaroid, but am looking
for the best step away from my Canon, roundly cursed on this list
before.