Subject: RE: [Leica] long lens tests
From: "Robert G. Stevens" <robsteve@istar.ca>
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 19:40:58 -0400

Peter:

I like the RSX 100 too.  In Canada it is $63 for a 100 foot roll or about
$42 USD.  I have found though it is not sharp enough for things where you
need fine detail such as bird photography.  I am going to try the new RSX
and if it has the Tgrain like sharpness I will probably buy some 100 foot
rolls of it.  You are right about the great colour of the RSX.  Everybody
that tries it comments on its good colour.  I use it almost exclusively for
sports as it is so cheap, I can shoot four of five rolls and not break the
bank.

As for the ski shots, I will need to practice some more to get good
downhill shots.  I have some good of the Snowboards doing the GS the week
before.  It was overcast though and not as bright as the day of the ski
racing.

I have not compared the Leica 400 to the Canon 400, but the Canon is the
best of the 300 2.8's with the exception of the Leica which tests better.
I was just asuming the Leica 400 would show similiar better performance,
but all in all there is probably little difference.  I will also remind you
that I got my 400 2.8 as a Leica Canada Demo, and it was cheaper than
buying a new Canon 400 by about the cost of an R8!  Mine was in like new
condition as it was only used in trade shows, unlike Canon Demos that look
like they have been through a war.

In regards to handling, I showed my 400 to a photograper that had used a
Canon 400 2.8 for two weeks in Ding Darling and he said the Leica focused
more precisely then the Canon in Manual.  What he said is the canon had
some drive line lash to it while with the Leica it snaped into focus and
stayed there when you let go of the focusing ring.  I assume the Leica uses
a traditional helicoil system while the canon uses some other system that
make it posible to use variable focusing rates in manual.  The Leica is
also lighter and focuses closer.

My lens is version 11260 ,prior to the modular sytem.  A picture of it and
my friend George looking through it taken with a Tamron 17mm lens is below.
 The wide angle distorts the scale a bit, but it is an R7 mounted to it.

http://home.iSTAR.ca/~robsteve/photography/images/George-Ghiz.jpg

Regards,

Robert