Subject: RE: [Leica] long lens tests
From: "Robert G. Stevens" <robsteve@istar.ca>
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 1999 00:03:57 -0400

Peter:

My lens was cheaper than the Canon because it is discontinued and replaced
with the Modular System.  This lens was a trade show demo, not the Demo
euphemism Leica uses for used items.  It was just used to show around, not
loan out or rent like Canon does.  The last Canon 400 2.8 I saw a few
months ago was beat with the front rim of the lens cracked and falling off,
only held on by the rubber trim.  Canon demos are their rental stock, and
are also loaned to some photographers who are well connected.  They get a
lot of mileage on them.

The other mistake most people do is compare list prices.  With these
expensive lenses, the dealers have a long way to move.  The Canon 400 lists
in Canada for somewhere around $15,000 CAD, while it sells for $12,000.
The Leica probably lists around $17,000, but could be had for probably in
the $14,000 range.  I had though of buying a Canon 400 2.8 and an EOS 1n
with the price difference, but Leica gave me a better deal on their demo
lens.  I had intended on comparing the two lenses but the Canon Rep didn't
get me a demo lens to me before my option on the Leica expired.  I am happy
with what I have and even have an adapter that allows me to mount it on an
EOS.

Regards,

Robert