Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: Tri-X and Kodak vs Ilford?
From: Bill Welch <welch@pressroom.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 1999 12:01:34 -0500

At 11:42 AM 2/19/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Anyone have any experience using the Sprint line of chemicals on Tri-X, Delta
>100, 400? They are supposed to be more user friendly re: toxicity, smell.  Do
>the company recommended times work for developing and printing?  Grain,
>contrast, tone?

Mark, I use the Sprint fixer and stop bath from the gallon cubes as my
standard. The stop bath is especially nice because it has a buffered
vanilla scent to it. No acetic acid smell. It also is an indicator bath,
but I toss it before it gets that far. All the Sprint chemistry is  mixed
with a uniform 1:9 dilution, which also is convenient. (double it for
fixing film.)

I have used their film developer but wasn't wild about it. It is basically
a D-76 clone, probably with phenidone instead of metol, in liquid form.
They have a complex formula with a long list of adjustment factors for
calculating development times. You might try starting with D76 times and
adjust from there if you are interested in trying this developer. The paper
developer is a satisfactory replacement for Dektol or the Polymax liquid.

Bill