Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica lenses & Group Professionals Responsibility?
From: RBedw51767@aol.com
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 1999 14:46:13 EST

Thanks Harrison for explaining this to me.  I now have even more appreciation
for your profession.   It all looks peachy from the outside looking in doesn't
it.  I enjoy watching the Mt. Everest mountain climbers on tv and think about
all the pain they go through to climb just a few feet.  Now, professional
sports and events photography just entered in the same arena as mountain
climbing. I hope you guys make be-jillion bucks for all you go through.

Harrison, one more question.  At the end of the day, month, week, year or
whatever, what provides your ultimate satisfaction?  Is it the picture(s)
being published with recognition, money, job postition, increase in client
base?    Is it the one outstanding shot that is better and different than your
colleagues?   To go through all that you go through there has to be something
that makes you forget about the sore shoulder from carrying those ungodly
heavy lenses and equipment.  I traveled over 100,000 miles a year during the
past ten years of my career and I don't care if I ever get on another
airplane, especially with 500 pounds of anything.

You are a great guy to share your experiences and opinions with us.  I like
you straight-forwardness!

Bob Bedwell

<< Bob,

 Usually when using my 400 2.8 I use a mono pod...unlike Ted's son I am
 not  man  enough to shoot that monster hand held. I mount the mono-pod
 into  the  lens  and put the mono-pod over my shoulder to carry it. It
 helps  to  get  a mono-pod shoulder cushion, or put foam rubber at the
 top  of the mono-pod. Even with this my shoulder usually ends up black
 and blue from slinging that much weight on and off my shoulder after a
 day of heavy shooting.

 I usually  only  use that long of a lens for sports...football, NASCAR,
 Golf where the day is long with a lot of running around.

 Special Straps...If using a lens like a 300 2.8 or up you really ought
 to  get  a  strap  on  the  lens and carry the camera/lens by the lens
 strap.  Just think about a lens that big being supported by only those
 tiny screws that hold your mount onto your camera body.....

 And  Yes I hire someone to carry my crap IF I can get my client to pay
 for  them.  Otherwise  (most  of  the  time)  I haul it around myself.
 Example:  when  I  was  covering  The  Masters  golf  tournament I was
 carrying  3  bodies(Nikon  F3/80-200  2.8,  Nikon F2AS/24mm, and Canon
 F1n/4002.8  first  2 days & Nikon N90/400 3.5 last 2 days...my 400 got
 water  logged  on  Friday  and  I  had to use an NPS loaner on Sat and
 Sunday;  Canon  was officially kicked out of the Masters several years
 ago  and can't get back in.) I had to carry all of this junk plus lots
 of  film,  envelopes  &  a 2 way radio to keep in contact with my film
 runner, other photogs, and photo editor.

 Keeping  warm on  a  cold day with a long lens is almost impossible for
 me.  I  never learned to shoot with gloves.  The mono-pod is aluminum,
 camera  metal...all  very  cold. My hands  get  very cold.