Subject: Re: [Leica] Ilford Delta 3200
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 06:53:40 +0100

Bill,

Of course I realize that the film can be pushed to 3200 and beyond, when one
must have an image--any image. What I meant by "marketing hype" is that here we
have a film whose true ISO speed is in the 1000-1600 range (see Erwin's report,
and my own experience bears it out), which is nonetheless labeled 3200. I am
not picking on Ilford here, Kodak does the same with TMZ.

I think the D3200 is the best high-speed B&W film ever made and I love using
it. But I love it for the results at 1600. Between this speed and my Noctilux,
I can cope with any of the low-light situations I encounter.

Nathan

Bill Welch wrote:

> At 10:24 PM 2/20/99 +0100, you wrote:
> > The 3200
> >speeds are in my view marketing hype.
> >

> Hardly. If you've ever been in a situation where you need an image at 3200,
> you'd think differently, I suggest.
>
> Yes, it's underexposing and extending development. But it can yield very
> nice results, with proper technique. Both these films are designed with
> pushing in mind.
>
> Bill

- --
Nathan Wajsman