Subject: Re: [Leica] B&W film speed
From: "Martin V. Howard" <marho@ikp.liu.se>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 13:37:11 +0100

RBedw51767@aol.com wrote:

> The wide latitude of Delta 3200 makes me wonder how it would perform
> in the 400-800 ISO rating area.   I recently and stupidly mistook
> Delta 400 for Delta 100 and exposed it at ISO 50.

It all depends on what effects you're trying to achieve. It is unlikely,
though I don't know for sure, that Delta 3200 at EI 400 is going to be
significantly better than, say, Delta 400, HP-5+ or Tri-X, especially
when taking grain into consideration. I'm no expert, but wouldn't
contrast suffer too? I seem to remember that, generally, slower films
exhibit better contrast than faster films.

However, there are no hard and fast rules in photography. I for one
would welcome a trial of Delta 3200 at slow speeds, just to hear what
pictorial qualities it has.

I don't think, though, that it would function as a replacement for
slower films, or as a general "use-at-all-EIs" film.

M.

- --
Martin Howard, Grad. Schl. for Human-Machine Interaction,  |
HMI/IKP, Linkoping University, SE-581 83 Linkoping, Sweden.|    Just
Tel: +46 13 28 5741; Fax: +46 28 2579; ICQ: 354739         | say "DOOH"
E-mail: marho@ikp.liu.se; www.iav.ikp.liu.se/staff/marho/  +------------