Subject: Re: [Leica] B&W film speed
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 12:14:45 -0800

Eric Welch wrote:

> At 12:00 AM 2/22/99 -0800, you wrote:
> >This whole thing about which film speed to set your Delta on that day
> >goes right over my head. In my reading and direct experience each
> >Film/developer combination has a speed which gives you adequate shadow
> >detail and that's your film speed.
>
> If all people thought that this was the only way to expose/develop film,
> then there would be a lot fewer of the great photos of history than there
> are. Sometimes, especially in the past when 400 ISO film was the fastest
> there was, we have to compromise shadow detail and smooth contrast a bit to
> get the more important subject with an adequate shutter speed and aperture.
>
> That's not to say that your approach is wrong. It works for you. But
> understanding why others might do it a different way might help you some
> day when faced with the same choice.
>
> Eric Welch

I've shot plenty of tri x with Acufine at 800 and not thought that other
photographers who went further were complete idiots. This thing about
the warm Tmax developer souping the P3200 to supersonic speeds is
probably very real as I saw the images on the website to back it up.
Aren't you coming from a sports photography thread frame of mind? I
think that's just a tad specialized. I think the default is a full scale
full substance print.
Mark Rabiner