Subject: [Leica] Northern Lights for MITCH
From: Greg Locke <locke@straylight.ca>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 00:21:42 -0300

>Greg...

>When we were there, we wanted to take shots of the northern lights, but were
>unable to because of a variety of factors.  Have you taken any successful shots
>of them and with what type of set up?
>
>/Mitch

        You seldom see the Northern Lights (aurora boriealis) on the island
of Newfoundland... except on REALLY cold clear nights in the winter and on
the northern coast of the island.

They are VERY common in Labrador. But again, only in the winter.

You are a brave man (or just don't know any better) if you want to visit
Labrador in Jan/Feb/Mar months.

Although I have seen this many times, I have never photographed it.
...just not my thing (photojournalists have little patience for such things).

I suspect it would be much the same as shooting fireworks, lightning, or
comets...  time exposure on a tripod.  (I got the fireworks thing down
pretty good)

Maybe our buddy Tim, in Yellowknife, has done the Lights.... if he has I
wish he would tell ME!!!  :^)

Greg Locke                           E-Mail: locke@straylight.ca
St. John's, Newfoundland             Tel: 709-576-2297
                                     http://www.straylight.ca/locke
PictureDesk International            http://www.picturedesk.org
Available at PressLink ONLINE        http://online.presslink.com