Subject: Re: [Leica] Reimbursement/Value Placed on Work?
From: Zeissler@aol.com
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 06:21:25 EST

In a message dated 2/23/99 12:00:33 AM Eastern Standard Time,
gdklein@bytehead.com writes:

> As a photojournalist, I discourage students from entering the madness at
>  every juncture.  I remind them that their very very very expensive college
>  education is a farce for what they get in monetary terms.  They will work
>  for publishers or groups that view the worker, whether a reporter or
>  photographer as an easily replaceable unit.   At the present time I am
>  working on a computer science degree as an alternative just in case.  If I
>  have to actually become a information systems guy, I would photograph only
>  on my terms and for the pure joy of it.  When you are a pro, there are so
>  many things that pull you apart.  There are pleasures of having amatuer
>  status that is a lot of fun.

As an Information Systems guy (formerly in the multi-image slide profession),
I'm doing exactly what you dream of.  I also encourage creative types whom are
just starting to give some real thought about what they want to do.

I left the photography field in 1991 when my deadlines became ~10 minutes for
B&W slides (with clients waiting) and ~50 minutes for E-6 slides (~10 minutes
to shoot, 40 minutes dry to dry, also with clients waiting).  So much for my
Communcation Art degree and my dreams of creative endeavour as a career.
However, I am *much* happier now (and am being paid a wage *way* beyond any I
would have made producing slides) and am free to do what ever appeals to my
creative nature (however, it *must* be in color; maybe that will diminish in
time, with Tina's help!   ;-)

/Mitch