Subject: Re: [Leica] Definition of a Professional
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 19:35:46 -0500

- --=====================_99094240==_.ALT

At 05:22 PM 2/23/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Tina:
>
>Nice hearing from you.
>
>Is PhotoPro a professional photographer group that qualifies their members?

Not really.  It's just a mail-list like this one and anyone can lurk; however,
the list-moderators are very severe about any topics or contributions that are
not of a professional level.  Information at http://www.photonews.net

  Is there a professional photographer super
>list that is circulated throughout the industry that requires a photographer
>to qualify before listing?  I just don't know.

The closest thing I know of to this is ASMP, the American Society for Media
Photographers.  You have to be recommended by an established member and submit
a portfolio for review.  The initials after your name indicate that you have
passed some kind of screening anyway!  They also work for photographers' rights
in legal disputes.  A good organization, but we are prohibited by law from
becoming a union and cannot set prices (we can, however, discuss them which
helps level the playing field!)

Leically,

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
http://www.tinamanley.com/

- --=====================_99094240==_.ALT

At 05:22 PM 2/23/99 -0500, you wrote:<br>
&gt;Tina:<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;Nice hearing from you. <br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;Is PhotoPro a professional photographer group that qualifies their
members?<br>
Not really.&nbsp; It's just a mail-list like this one and anyone can
lurk; however, the list-moderators are very severe about any topics or
contributions that are not of a professional level.&nbsp; Information at
&gt;list that is circulated throughout the industry that requires a
photographer<br>
&gt;to qualify before listing?&nbsp; I just don't know.<br>
The closest thing I know of to this is ASMP, the American Society for
Media Photographers.&nbsp; You have to be recommended by an established
member and submit a portfolio for review.&nbsp; The initials after your
name indicate that you have passed some kind of screening anyway!&nbsp;
They also work for photographers' rights in legal disputes.&nbsp; A good
organization, but we are prohibited by law from becoming a union and
cannot set prices (we can, however, discuss them which helps level the
playing field!)<br>
Leically,<br>
Tina<br>