Subject: [Leica] Advice Needed...2nd M6 Body
From: "Hans Pahlen" <hans.pahlen@mark.komvux.se>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 14:01:31 +0100

Sandy,
I use a classic M6 together with a M6 HM (TTL). I use 50 and 90 mm lenses
for the HM, 21 and 35 mm lenses for the classic. I am very satisfied with
this setup. As I don't wear glasses, I have ho problems with the HM 35 mm
frame (size of the 35 mm finder frames can be compared to the classic's 28
mm frame). But if you wear glasses, this might be a decisive factor in
favour of the classic body, unless you are prepared to dedicate the HM body
for 50-90-135 mm lenses.

I don't use flash for Leica-M, but I have tried to get TTL exposures
together with my Nikon SB-26 flash, but this is not working, well, never
mind that. The reason why I got the TTL body was:
1) the HM finder 2) a meter that is more up to date (I don't mean in
functionality, but construction-wise). Technology has no doubt developed
since 1986-87.

I don't mind the new shutter speed dial. I usually set the shutter speed
before I meter anyway. The reversed dial is easy to get used to anyway. The
new spot between the arrows when metering is also great, as there is no
doubt when the settings are correct. I would say that the new dial and meter
are improvements, although not 'must have'.

In answer to your question, I would say this: A HM finder is definitely more
accurate and easier to use for 75 and 90 mm lenses, especially if you will
make extensive use of F/1,4-F/2,0. As my favorite lens is 50 mm, the
HM-finder is also as good for this lens as the M3 finder, although it is a
little cluttered by the 75 mm frames, but I can live with that.
Then, it is a matter of taste if you choose the TTL or not, depending on
your planned use of flash. Personally, I just feel comfortable that Leica
made the TTL meter a little bit better than the old one, and that is why I
got it. I made a trade with my second M6 classic, lost a lot of money, but I
don't regret it. The HM finder was worth it! But I would never trade my
classic for another TTL-classic. That would be a waste of money.

Hans