Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Northern Lights
From: Zeissler@aol.com
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 21:10:08 EST

>  You'd stand a chance with the Noct and a fast film except you'd only get a
>  piece of the action - it's all over the sky.

So a wider, slower lens would get better coverage, but not the faster
activity.  Hmmmm.  Decisions, decisions.  I think I'll have to continue my
quest for a Nocti <on topic> and rent (or borrow) the wide angle when the time
comes.  Of course, it may be so long down the road, that I may have the wide
angle at that time as well.

>  No offense taken.  I often wonder why I'm here too; if not for my kids'
>  insatiable desire for food and shelter I'd be in the north country.  The
>  Sierra Nevada (2 hours away) are wonderful mountains but having seen
>  Alaska, nothing else is good enough.

I hear you.  My wife has an absolutely fantastic position in her current
employment (the full depth of it can't be duplicated anywhere else in the US)
and if it weren't for that we would be in the upper elevations of the Rocky
Mountains of Colorado as homesteaders, instead of vacationers.

>  I left Alaska because the engineer in me was atrophying.  I've had a few
>  close encounters with engineering work in Anchorage (which is close enough
>  to the real Alaska for all practical purposes) but for now I'll not starve
>  the kids.

I thought the wages were significantly higher in Alaska?  Or are there other
considerations?

/Mitch