Subject: Re: [Leica] "Editorial usage"
From: Greg Locke <locke@straylight.ca>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 09:34:55 -0300

At 12:12 PM 25/02/99 +0100, you wrote:

>Could someone please explain the phrase "editorial usage"?  What does
>this cover?

 NON- Editorial, or "commercial" , is any photography that DIRECTLY
advocates or promotes and commercial product or service.

        You cannot use a photo of a person (without their consent) where it
appears or presumes that the person promotes or endorses that product or
service.

        This, in some cases, also extents to previously copyrighted materials.
(You cannot make a photo of someone else copyrighted work and sell it.)

Editorial usage pertains to public dissemination of information that is not
of a commercial content (advertizing)... ie; NEWS.  It is not selling a
product, but providing information for the (supposed!) public good.

There are volumes written on this.... so I'll end my little part.

Greg Locke                           E-Mail: locke@straylight.ca
St. John's, Newfoundland             Tel: 709-576-2297
                                     http://www.straylight.ca/locke
PictureDesk International            http://www.picturedesk.org
Available at PressLink ONLINE        http://online.presslink.com